When it comes to special days of the year – Christmas, Valentine’s, Easter – there is one that stands out for its batter-filled family fun. Who needs chocolate bunnies when you’ve got pancakes? Whether you like a good squeeze of lemon, a huge dollop of nutella, or you break the mold with a meaty delight or an orange or two, here’s our guide on how to make the most of pancake day the green way…
Make your own
Instead of buying those rubbery pre-made pancakes or the plastic bottles filled with a mix you add water to, just make your own! The whole point of Shrove Tuesday is to use up everything you have in the kitchen so follow our recipe and you’ll be left feeling like a proud chef without a rubbery microwaved knock-off to your name. It’s unlikely you’ll make a record breaking sized pancake, but why not have a go!
Recipe (makes 10-14 depending how big you like them!):
- 4oz (110g) plain flour
- 2 large eggs
- 7 fl oz (20oml) milk mixed with 3fl oz (75ml) water
- 2oz (50g) butter
- pinch of salt
Now for the easy bit:
1. Sieve the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the bottom of the bowl and break the eggs into it.
2. Start whisking the eggs, slowly incorporating the flour from the sides of the bowl.
3. Add the milk-water mixture slowly while continually mixing with the whisk, melt the butter and add two tablespoons to the mixture (save the rest to grease the pan).
4. Pour a ladel-full of mixture into a very hot pan and get flipping! Easy!
Funk them up
Bored of plain old round pancakes? Want to give yourself a flipping challenge? Then get yourself a fun mold and change things up this year. Made from eco-friendly silicon you can reuse them year on year and you can get the pancakes out without any breakages!
Give something up
The whole point of Shrove Tuesday is to mark the beginning of Lent – a period when you give something up. Instead of putting yourself through hell with a biscuit or booze ban, why not give up something much easier like car or plane journeys. Give up traffic jams and airport delays by getting on the bus or train. What could be better than a Traincation trip to Paris – home of the crepe – by Eurostar?!
And here’s McFly flipping pancakes with the Gordon Ramsay to get you in the mood…
Here comes the science bit…
GC articles show you one of four ways (the one in bold) to live greener…
Pic: Ffion (CC)